Leonard Fuld in HBR: Only Half of Companies Actually Use the Competitive Intelligence They Collect

Posted by Fuld + Company on Jan 28, 2016 2:50:55 PM

Leonard M. Fuld and Benjamin Gilad on Competitive StrategyIn his most recent Harvard Business Review article, charman and founder Leonard Fuld joins Ben Gilad, president and co-founder of the Fuld-Gilad-Herring Academy of Competitive Intelligence (ACI), to assess the impact of CI on major company decisions.

Based on a survey of 236 CI managers and analysts across 21 industries, Fuld and Gilad found that 55% of respondents said "their input on major management decisions made enough difference to improve the decision," leaving 45% whose analysis was ineffective at influencing executive decision making. 

When CI analysts were effective, four variables played a significant role: 

  1. The analyst was given "sign-off" authority over major decisions
  2. Management was open to dissenting opinions
  3. The analyst's report provided proactive, rather than reactive, recommendations
  4. The analyst provided CI for a product launch

Read the full article for more: Only Half of Companies Actually Use the Competitive Intelligence They Collect

or download an excerpt from Leonard Fuld's book, The Secret Language of Competitive Intelligence:

RC_SecretLanguageofCI

Click to download!

 

Topics: Competitive Intelligence, FGH Academy of Competitive Intelligence, Fuld, Leonard, Competitive Strategy

Fuld + Company Blog

The material on this page draws on the research and experience of Fuld + Company thought leaders, consultants and others. Learn more about our expertise here.

Recent Posts

Request for Information

If you'd like someone at Fuld to contact you regarding your strategic competitive challenges, fill out the form below.